Foss 153 Diesel Spill Dinan Bay Haida GwaiiMay 14, 2020
For Immediate Release
May 14, 2020, 14:00 PST
Unified Command Joint Advisory:
Foss 153 Diesel Spill Diinan Kahlii Dinan Bay Haida Gwaii
Sampling and SCAT (Shoreline Cleanup and Assessment Technique) surveys are now complete. There has been no observed fish kills by response personnel, sampling personnel, or shoreline assessment personnel. Samples have been taken in accordance with the approved sampling plan and are being analyzed by the lab and the data collated. Once this data has been reviewed by the Environmental Unit and Unified command, which are made up of representatives of the Council of Haida Nation, the Federal Government, the Provincial Government, and Taan Forest, the results will be released.
- Spill reported early Wednesday morning, April 22, of 4500L from FOSS 153. Initial estimates from a NASP overflight found 1900L on the water, with over 50% evaporating and dissipating within first 24hrs. On Thursday April 30th, the NASP overflight reported no visible sheen or recoverable product.
- Absorbing booms and sorbent pads were deployed upon discovery.
- During recovery efforts, focus was on deflecting diesel plumes from shorelines and environmentally and culturally sensitive sites. All booms and absorbent materials were collected by afternoon of April 24, 2020.
- Sampling of water, soil and marine life completed Sunday May 10th
- Analysis of samples are ongoing by laboratories in Vancouver and Ontario
- Results of analysis will be released once reviewed by the Environmental Unit and Unified Command
For Further Information:
- Karen Dean (250) 626-9722
- Sonia Rice (250) 626-9049