FSC Achievement AwardDecember 21, 2017
In 2017, Taan Forest received a significant award from FSC. It was awarded to President of the Haida Nation, Peter Lantin at the FSC® General Assembly Gala Dinner in Vancouver on October 10, 2017 with over 1000 people in attendance from about 80 countries, including Indigenous peoples from countries around the world and Canada.
The award was one of four given to FSC members by the FSC international board of directors in recognition of special commitment and achievement for the FSC mission through the award to Taan Forest and the Haida Nation was given, in part, for the following:
- Long-standing commitment to FSC.
- Giving voice and meaning to upholding the rights of Indigenous peoples worldwide.
- Resilience and patience to take back control and do the right thing for the benefit of ALL peoples on Haida Gwaii.
- Demonstrating the value of Indigenous Cultural Landscapes (ICLs) for achieving the goals and aspirations of Indigenous peoples.
- Leveraging the true value of forests through forest management excellence and ecosystem services.
“The award shows the esteem by which the CHN and Taan Forest is held in the international community and the high regard for the efforts to change the way forestry is done on Haida Gwaii.” said HaiCo Board Member and long-time FSC® member Keith Moore.